Answers to Your Most Pressing Questions
Before you begin working with Connecticut Online Counseling for virtual therapy sessions, you might have a number of questions, and our team members are always happy to answer them. On this page, we’ve collected the answers to some of those questions we hear most often, but this is by no means a comprehensive list, so don’t hesitate to reach out to our team if you don’t see your question here or you want to learn more.
Is online counseling different from regular therapy?
The location may be different, but the goals and results should be the same. From the comfort of home, you’ll have the opportunity to talk to skilled professionals about a wide range of topics and achieve your goals to lead a healthier and more fulfilling life. Find out more on our Online Counseling 101 page.
Who is a candidate for online counseling?
Anyone who wants to experience effective counseling from the comfort and privacy of their own homes or offices should consider online counseling. For the most part, virtual sessions are as effective as in-person treatment, but there are some situations where you will need to seek care in person. The main reason this may be recommended is if you are actively considering harming yourself or someone else. During your initial session, we’ll discuss your situation to help you make sure online sessions are the safest and most effective option for you. Find out more on our Online Counseling 101 page.
Why would I consider online counseling?
There are many reasons why people decide to try out online counseling. You can find out more on our Why Online Counseling Page, but some of the most common reasons include:
- Convenience – you can stick to your regular schedule, avoid long drives, and complete your session anywhere you are using a computer, tablet, or laptop.
- Privacy – not only are our services protected by the Doxy.me software for compliance with HIPAA privacy standards, but many clients find they prefer online counseling because it allows them to avoid sharing with their coworkers, schoolmates, or bosses where they’re going once a week for several hours. Instead, you can simply finish your session over lunch or on a day off without worrying about explaining your situation to anyone.
- Access – online counseling gives people who live in more remote locations access to a greater number of providers who can offer therapy to address their unique life challenges effectively.
- Confidence – many people worry about the stigma of receiving counseling and have difficulty interacting with a counselor face-to-face. These clients often find it easier to communicate online.
How is My privacy protected during online counseling?
The Doxy.me system does not require a download, log in, or access to your credit card information to use. This removes many of the privacy concerns associated with other e-therapy services. Additionally, Doxy.me uses encryption protocols that exceed privacy protocols set by both HIPAA (Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act) and HITECH (The Health Information Technology for Economic and Clinical Health). You can find out more about our secure service on the Doxy.me page. You can also do your part to protect your privacy and security by keeping the following tips in mind:
- Always log out of any public or shared computers or devices
- Whenever possible, avoid using shared devices
- Set locks and passcodes for the device you use for telehealth care
- Choose a private space for telehealth sessions (even if it’s your vehicle in the parking lot)
Are the counselors licensed?
Yes. Our counselors are all fully credentialed and maintain their licensing to practice in the state of Connecticut. You can find out more about our practitioners on the About Us page.
Does my insurance cover online therapy?
Many insurers do offer coverage for online therapy, but we’ll want to review your policy to ensure the availability of benefits. Find out more on our Billing & Insurance Options page.
How do I Get Started?
To get started, simply give the Connecticut Online Counseling team a call or complete our online request form. We’ll be happy to answer any questions you have and schedule a first session for you. We look forward to working with you to achieve your therapy goals from the comfort of your own home, office, or other private location, using any device.